May 28, 2009

New Life in Cozumel






Well the Swine plague of the century seems to have gone the way of the dodo as well it should. In fact we actually had a cruise ship show up yesterday and no one got plague. Can you believe that? Not one single case in Cozumel. How lucky are we? However, the island has been devastated since it was announced to "avoid all non-essential travel to Mexico". Our economy was hit as hard if not harder then Hurricane Wilma 3 years ago. At least ships came back after 3 weeks from that hit. The imaginary plague and 5 weeks of cruise ship quarantine. Heck my buddy Mike said there were 6 cases in Chicago but no body said "avoid all non-essential travel to Chicago". It's a conspiracy I tell you!

On a happy note I believe we are in a new phase of life on Cozumel reefs. For the past 6 months I have been noticing more life then I can ever remember. Not just more schools of fish and larger amounts but also unusual species that have not been common here in the past. I have seen 2 green sea turtles in the last month. Used to see maybe one per year. I actually had my camera for this little guy. I also saw the biggest Loggerhead I have ever seen 3 weeks ago. It was 6 feet from head to tail.





There are so many hawksbill turtles in the water they are almost not special anymore. However being so common they seem to do the strangest things. 3 days ago Steve and Kelly and I were on Delila reef and saw a small (1.5 ft) turtle feeding. When he saw us he turned towards us and swam up to meet us. Steve had to actually put his hand on his shell to keep the little guy from running into his camera. He looked up as if to say "so what are you guys doing here?" It was so cool. He hung around for a while and then headed up for some air.


I was doing a discover scuba with Edgar the yesterday and I took this picture. Can you count the fish in this school?












So the economy may suck but the the diving is awesome. Water temps are 82 degrees and rising. I put my shorty away for the summer last week. Won't need that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment