Jun 19, 2009

New friends




It has been a busy week. Dove 22 tanks in the last 8 days. It seems the combination of short attention span (read swine plague of yesterday how soon we forget) and the cheap airfares (read Oh do we still fly to the Caribbean?) has convinced some folks the Cozumel is still a great safe place to visit. So they did. I had all new groups this last week. Nice folks from Canada, Texas and Florida. 70 percent of my biz is return guests but on weeks like this I get to make new friends and share the island to folks for the first time.


Rob and Brian are from Florida. They came down to do their advanced open water course with me as well as get in some great diving. They are fairly new to the dive scene and wanted to get a little more instructor time so we did some really good training. It was great to see them learn and improve over the week.


Jen and Evin are from Vancouver and they were already very skilled divers just looking to see a new ocean. They certified in Australia and did a few dives in Vietnam almost 2 years ago. I was a little worried they might be rusty but once again youth and fearlessness prevails and they did great from start to finish. Jen is an avid photographer so I let her use my camera to take some shots and I gave them a disk of their dives to remember Cozumel by. Might be a while before they make it back however cuz Evin is hard into learning dentistry and works really hard all year. They don't get much play time for the next few years. We were treated with a huge free swimming green moray at Cedral wall on one of the dives. I had set the max depth at 80 ft when we left the boat but Mr Moray convinced me to extend it to 100 as he was not about to come up to us. He gave us a really good show and had a big grouper following him around. I am still trying to figure out the relationship between them. Why do they hang out together so often?


I also got to take Branden, Roy and Brandon from Texas out for their Advanced open water. Branden had been here before the Roy and Branden were Cozumel virgins. We did the wreck, Delila, Santa Rosa wall, Chankanaab, Yucab and lots of others. We also saw a very large nurse shark on Delila. They seemed to be really pleased with the super viz this week and Branden is already planning his next trip to Cozumel. He might even rent Na Ha!


So it was really a great week of diving although after so much bottom time I need a little off gas time. Luckily I have a little break before party Marty and his family get here, with Steve and Kelly to follow close behind. And then well dive dive dive til our daddy takes the dive boat away... Dive dive dive til our daddy takes the dive boat awayyyyyyyyy,.,,.,.....

No comments:

Post a Comment