Oct 1, 2009

Out of the furnace and into New Mexico

These are the continuing stories of Scubatony as he travels across the continent for Ride the Americas. The 16 thousand mile journey is focused on raising awareness for the National Safety Council's anti-cellphone while driving initiative. Blog post are almost daily and include lots of pictures and stories and a funny video or two. Follow along and enjoy your ride!





I got a late start out of Phoenix the other day. It was hot and I wanted to beat the heat but the National Safety Council office had hoped to have some press there at noon so I hung around. Non showed but I did have a nice chat with the very dedicated safety people that work there.







I ended up at a nice $16 camp site just east of Payson Arizona. It was a really warm night and I realized that I had not camped since just before San Francisco. Too long and I really enjoyed being in the tall pine forest again. I went to bed under a clear sky and did not pitch the tent as it seemed to be very clear and rain was unlikely. These decisions seem to haunt me still. Of course around 2:30 am I am gently awakened from a sweet dream by the tap tap tap of rain drops on my face. The dream is lost in the ensuing madness of trying to find the light and get some cover over my sleeping bag. Luckily there were some pine trees close by and I could just make a quick tarp tent to stay dry.



In the morning when I woke up I could not find one of my shoes. I looked all around but it was gone. I know I had it that night when I frantically put the cover up but it was no where to be found. I searched the nearby area but to no avail. My 2 year old keep left shoe was gone. I can only imagine some critter found it in the night and liked the smell of my left foot. Very odd indeed!






As I headed toward Albuquerque (spell that one in your sleep), I looked for roads that would keep me clear of the interstate madness. It turns out that just south of I-40 is state Hwy 60 that parallels about 50 miles south. It also happens to be the same route I had ridden 21 years ago on a bicycle with Sharon as I road from Coast to coast in the summer of 88. It also happens to be the location of the VLA (very large array). It is the most useful radio telescope ever constructed and sits out on a flat bit to high mountain plateau. It has huge antenea that can be spread out for miles on railroad tracks and aligned at the clear New Mexico sky to listen to the sky. When I firs passed by it the VLA was only 8 years old. Now it was 29 years old and still doing everything and more the scientist can dream up.



I got to see my cave buddy and long lost motorcycle adventure friend Frosty in Albuquerque. He had crashed his bike 4 days before and was healing up from a broken ankle, 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung (complete with bubbles in subcutaneous skin). very creepy! i have said it many times but I really mean it when I say I want to be like him when I grow up. Anyway Frosty took really good care of me and we had a good dinner and lunch today. Mend well my friend and ride safe!



So down the road I go in search of the infamous Blue Hole. For those that don't know it is a fresh water spring mostly in the middle of now where New Mexico. I think the town of Santa Rosa is only there because of that spring. I just so happens to be the only bit of scubadiveable water for about 600 miles. So any diver in Colorado, Arizona, and Western Texas is familiar with it and probably did their Open water cert dives there. I had heard about it from many people including Frosty but had never actually seen it. I had to see it and made a bee line in that direction as it just so happens to be on my to Amarillo.





It looks like I have a media event in Dallas on the 5th and then another extra grande one on the 7th in Austin. Got some other great friends to see there as well.
ride on ride on!



Where is Scubatony now?

No comments:

Post a Comment