Oct 31, 2009

remnants

Been going through some of the pix from the trip and realized, thanks to Encarna, that there were some really good shots that I never posted. Over the next few days I am going to post some of those pix with some closing thoughts on the journey.







This was coming into Yellowstone. There were so many amazing views there it is hard to choose one over the other. My memory fills with so much from that area. What I really come away with unfortunately is just how busy the place was. Tons of huge mobile homes and campers and even traffic and waiting in line was the norm. The national parks were set aside as public use land. It was put it place for all to see and enjoy. We are fortunate in the US to have such places to visit. I just wish there were not so many of us visiting. lol




This was the first night of camping near Casper Wyoming. Encarna thought this picture showed an interesting contrast of roughing it with my portable technology. I slept on picnic tables a lot when there was no chance of rain. I couldn't be bothered with the setting up the tent if there was no need. In hindsight the first part of the trip was too rushed. I really wanted to make it up to the Arctic ocean before the weather got bad. Even with all my effort I fell short of my weather window by just a couple days.



I had many moments where I would just stop and let my feet dry out and take advantage of the quietness by the side of the road. One day outside of Amarillo Texas I was feeling sleepy as I rode down a straight bit of road. I hate to ride with that sleepy feeling so I found a tiny municipal airport on a sunny day. I put down a pillow made of wadded up clothing, took off my shoes, and took a nap right on the asphalt. I slept a solid hour 3 feet from the mule with not a soul to be seen or heard for miles. It was one of the most satisfying moments of the whole trip.


This shot was taken in Yellowstone. The contrast of the water and reflections of light I find particularly striking. What magical places there are still to be seen. What vistas are still out there in this world. I find the natural world so fascinating. I even hesitated many times to even include a hint of humanity in my journey. I wanted it to be pure and for some reason including people or evidence of them tainted the moment or left a bitter taste in my mouth. I fear the only natural places that will survive mans influence are the ones that can be exploited for ecotourism or set aside as National parks.

I miss being on the road. I have already been looking into a possible trip to Argentina and the southern most roads in south America. Perhaps planning my next venture on the little mule will help to keep the thrill of riding the Americas alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment