Mar 29, 2009

Good deeds


So we got this crazy ripen wind out of the South a few days ago. It was the super strong and out of the wrong direction. Our usual wind is from the East or Northeast. Any strong winds only come from the north or West. Diving conditions are still good as long as you don't too far offshore where it gets pretty choppy.
Anyway, I have this long skinny palm tree in my back yard which you would think could bend over and hit the ground if the wind blew hard enough. It is loaded with coconuts which make it sway even farther than normal. I try to park my truck as far away as possible to avoid insurance claims do to rogue coconut damage. I think the insurance company has an exemption and wouldn’t pay anyway.

This big wind apparently caught the local wildlife off guard as well because I found 6 inch bird nest on the ground next to my truck and a rogue coconut. It was a pretty nice nest and fully intact. I looked at it for a few minutes admiring the craftsmanship and detail of the weave thinking "I wonder if the birds had home owners insurance and would that be covered or exempt in the fine print of the policy?" Feeling sad for the birds which would need to start the construction anew I tossed the nest in a pile of leaves thinking they might use the materials to rebuild.
As I turn around to get in my truck I notice my Dad's dog Priva, licking something on the ground. Further investigation and my keen sense of curiosity revealed it to be a baby bird. The thing looked to be about 2 weeks old. It's eyes were not open, it was a little smaller than my fist and had a couple straggly indications of future feathers sticking out of its scrawny wings. It could not move itself much. Lying on the brick floor with a big dog licking it was surely not where it would have preferred to spend the afternoon. I picked it up and gave it the once over. Ugly thing, damn!!!! Mother birds are amazing to be able to look after a creature that nasty looking. Oh My God! If you were to create a horror movie villain from a nightmare it would have prettier features than this bird.
However being the tree hugger, nature lover, in a good mood kinda guy that I am I felt sorry for it. I was sure it was in dire condition. What do to? Leave on the ground to fend for itself (cruel), Feed it to Priva to end it's suffering? (she wouldn't eat it), smash it with a shovel to end its suffering? (maybe), find a shoe box take it in the house and learn to regurgitate partially digested worms to feed it? (not likely), search the net for baby bird rearing techniques? (probably have a lot there) climb up the palm tree of eternal peril to return said baby monster to its parents? (not going to happen).

In the end I picked up the discarded nest and put the little guy inside. I looked for a place off the ground yet close to the palm tree in hopes that the parents might find him. As I drove away I figured he would be dead in a few hours and it would not be a pleasant death. But nature is cruel and perhaps so am I.
Low and behold 2 days later the little beast is still alive. I have not seen anyone tending it and
pretty sure Priva's worm regurgitation skills are lacking, so I assume the parents are in stealth mode taking care of him.
Hum... interesting nature story. Beats the hell out of caged camel at the front door stinking up the place. Why not do my first nature documentary.
So without further ado I humbly present to you The Fallen Feo.















Ill take pictures every couple days and keep you posted of Fallen Feo's progress.
If the story turns out sad it is not my fualt. Please don't aleart PETA and rat me out saying Scubatony is a torturer of ugly wildlife. I am but a humble observer now and nature will tell the tale from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment