Mar 1, 2009

Wilma part 5

7:14 pm Thursday Live from Cozumel Mexico!!! Yehaa! 12 hours from “W” Day

http://www.cancunmap.com/hurricane/

I think that will be my last trip to the water front. Encarna called me home this time. The sun has set and with it the last of the lookie loos have sought shelter. The streets are deserted. I counted one pedestrian like me and 4 cars in 30 min. It is really quiet out there except for all the wind noise.

Wind is of course, still building. I would estimate gusts up to 80-90 knots now. I could not get a reading but it is super gusty and at times I felt like thing one, trying to negotiate the middle of the street. But I didn’t really want to walk on the sidewalks as the power lines were giving off a lot of little sparks. Each one made me think the power is the first thing to go here. The waves are slamming into the seawall with a powerful thud! Each wave sprays up into the air a blast of white water reaching 20 to 30 feet over the wall. The seawall is the only thing protecting the high rent district and all the stores on the water front. If it holds those places, we will be fine. If those places are fine, the rest of the island will be able to spring back too. The rain has just started to fall. It is not really heavy yet but it is making a lot of noise because it is driven by some intense wind. Encarna says “there is a nice breeze outside”.

There is a bit of seaweed and debris on the road behind the seawall. There is water building up but it is all draining away well. The water front looks deserted and I think some of the power has gone away. It just looks dark and ominous out there. The clouds are sweeping south pretty fast.

They said the eye is going to be really big and if it hits directly, there will be an hour or so with a clear sky over the whole island. Gotta see that!!

We are going to watch some movies and settle in until the power goes out. I will make some more observations and post them as I can but without going out there, I will be limited to my own perceptions and feelings. I guess feelings are part of hurricane watch too. Right??

Scubatony reporting live!!

Back to you in the studio Wendall!

No comments:

Post a Comment