Aug 27, 2009

Road warriors

These are the continuing stories of Scubatony as he travels across the continent for Ride the Americas. The 16 thousand mile journey is focused on raising awareness for the National Safety Council's anti-cellphone while driving initiative. Blog post are almost daily and include lots of pictures and stories and a funny video or two. Follow along and enjoy your ride!

Woke to a chilly 36 degrees this morning in Saska river campground. It was a nice night but if it gets much colder I may start to get uncomfortable. Funny how those sleeping bags are always rated for -5 or -20 but you never seem to stay comfortable once the temp gets to freezing point.





Feeling a little like Mad Max today. Just long empty stretches of road as far as you can see. At points I didn’t see another car or bike coming or going for half an hour or more. Now this is an empty road. Did see a fair bit of construction going on. Seems like every bridge had a crew doing some patch work on it. It would be really easy to disappear from the world up here. I’m not up for that but just in case you were considering it?



As promised Laird hot springs was a big highlight today. It is one of the most scenic natural places you could imagine. If only they didn’t put up all the hand rails and buildings to protect the tourists. Luckily there were not a lot of them so it was quite nice to get in and take a bath (which of course I desperately needed as it has been too chilly even for a sponge bath the last few days). At the mouth of the spring you can’t really get to close as it will burn the crap out of you but if you mix the hot water on top with the cooler water below you can make a nice temp just about where ever you are. I found an area up towards the source where nobody would go. Had to really be careful as there was some scorcher places. At the end there was a small opening and when I went under for a little free dive I could tell that it was the opening to a cavern. I had no idea if it went anywhere or how big it was but if I had a mask and some fins you know I would have checked it out. I wonder if anyone has? Ill have to bring my cave gear next time. Hum.. How can I get that on a motorcycle?



A few miles down the road I found out what all the signs were talking about. I think the pictures explain it pretty well eh? I would have loved to say it was a cell phone distraction that caused this but there was no cell service for 300 miles today so I don’t think that was it. However if you look at the scene there were no obstructions to visibility and a full grown buffalo is hard to miss out here so there may have been some distraction involved. Looks to have happened within the last day or two. I wonder if they leave the remains there as a shocking reminder as to why they have so many caution signs on the road?












I got a BnB tonight as a little treat to myself. I will get up early tomorrow and save some time packing and get a good long day of it. Most people make it to Whitehorse from here but I may try and put a few more miles on than that. Like to make it to Fairbanks with time to change my rear tire before I head up the Dalton for the arctic.





And the ride continues!!!!


Where is Scubatony now?

No comments:

Post a Comment