Sep 5, 2009

At Peace once more


These are the continuing stories of Scubatony as he travels across the continent for Ride the Americas. The 16 thousand mile journey is focused on raising awareness for the National Safety Council's anti-cellphone while driving initiative. Blog post are almost daily and include lots of pictures and stories and a funny video or two. Follow along and enjoy your ride!


I spent almost 24 hours in Anchorage. It impressed me about as much as any big city can. It had facilities that I needed but I really couldn’t wait to get out of there. I didn’t really even take many pictures cuz if you seen one US city with a walmart or two you have pretty much seen um all.
I did spend the night in the 26th street hostel. For $25 I got a warm dry bed, a hot shower and actually watched a little TV. First time in weeks. It was Mad Max Thunderdome. Forgot how bad Tina Turner was in that movie. The hostel was full of transient types like me. Brian was moving back up to Alaska to be closer to his kids and Alison was a kind soul working on med school and trying to decide if she really wanted to live in a cold climate. I slept very well and enjoyed my time there very much.


In the morning I said my goodbyes and set off in search of a badly needed front tire the Little Mule. All the shops I had called had some but wanted $200 for them. I considered ordering it online and forwarding it to Tok but next day Fed Ex to Tok was going to cost me $65 and take 8 days. So that tells you just how far away from the world they are up here. When next day is actually 8 days from the lower 48 you know you are out there. I finally found the Motorcycle Shop ( no really that is the name of the shop) that had the stock Dunlop tire for $60 and they only charged me $20 to balance it. I worked in the parking lot and replaced it on the rim then handed it to them to balance. It took all of 2 min to balance it so that comes out to about $600 an hour labor rate I guess. Not the bargain I had hoped for doing it all myself. Things are not cheap up here at all.


So I rolled out of town about 1 pm and decided to take advantage of the great weather for some miles back up north towards Tok. I was in no hurry at all really. I stopped often and really enjoyed the ride. Got a little bit of rain but this time I didn’t let it dampen my mood (all pun intended). At one particularly nice vista I sat down in front of a beautiful blue glacier. I took my boots off and aired my feet a little. I lit a cigar and listened to the wind blow through the trees. The serenity of the moment made my ears ring. It was about 5 pm and the sun was still high in the sky. The sky ahead was clear and all was right with the world.













I get a sense now and then of loneliness. It is not bad but so rarely am I not surrounded by friends and people I love. Luckily have a phone and can talk to those I am close to often. The feeling struck me particularly hard today. I had no sense of urgency and can’t think of anyplace I need to be or anything I have to do except enjoy the miles as they roll beneath the fresh rubber of my new tires. I’m not even letting the weather get me down anymore. I know that as I go south the weather will get better.


Little Mule has become my #1 companion. I listen to the hum of the single piston as we trod along the road. When I start it up in the morning I listen to the sound of the battery and starter and know that she is happy and healthy. Each time I stop I look her over. Tire wear, loose bolts and bugs on the windshield are all things I tend to regularly. If Little Mule is happy I have nothing to worry about for SHE will take me to my next vista and beyond. This, I am finding is what really matters as the adventure continues!!

Where is Scubatony now?

No comments:

Post a Comment