Sep 7, 2009

Serenity at last



These are the continuing stories of Scubatony as he travels across the continent for Ride the Americas. The 16 thousand mile journey is focused on raising awareness for the National Safety Council's anti-cellphone while driving initiative. Blog post are almost daily and include lots of pictures and stories and a funny video or two. Follow along and enjoy your ride!




I've had good weather for the last couple days and consequently I'm feeling really great. The road ahead looks clear and soon I will be entering British Columbia again and heading south.


I met up with another rider that was actually headed my way a few days ago. 63 year old Fred was riding a new version of Little Mule and had spent the summer with his kids in North Pole Alaska just south of Fairbanks. He had been traveling by motorcycle his whole life and we shared stories and a campsite for the night. Proof that you don't have to let age stop you. Maybe it just slows you down a bit.





I highly recommend Snag lake just south of beaver creek Yukon. It was one of the most scenic places I have camped and only cost $12. We even got to use the roofed off area because there was no one else around. Even saw my first beaver up close.


I treated myself to a real crappy hotel last night in Whitehorse Yukon. It cost me $100 for a really poor quality little room. I guess they have to make up for the slow winter by charging hight prices the rest of the time. It did have a coin laundry which I desperately needed to use and the bed was warm and dry.


There were a few places along they way that you should try out if you find yourself up this way. In Tok there is a little campground called www.alaskanstovecampground.com. They are very reasonable and they actually set up a tent for motorcyclists to use. There is also a nice bed and breakfast in Watson lake about 2 km east of town. It is run by a nice German couple and is called Airport bnb I think. It is a nice home away from home. If you are looking for a great deal the 26th street BnB in Anchorage can't be beat. $25 and you get everything you need including the company of some nice travelers at no extra cost.











So here is a little video which kinda sums up my last few days on the road. I hope you like it. I really do.




Where is Scubatony now?

No comments:

Post a Comment