Sep 19, 2009

California Rules!

These are the continuing stories of Scubatony as he travels across the continent for Ride the Americas. The 16 thousand mile journey is focused on raising awareness for the National Safety Council's anti-cellphone while driving initiative. Blog post are almost daily and include lots of pictures and stories and a funny video or two. Follow along and enjoy your ride!










I really enjoyed Portland and Oregon but once into California things got even better. Here are some of the highlights and a vid for ya.










This was one of the first views I got of the California coast line. I wish the picture could really capture what it was like. Light fog most of the day and patchy bits of humidity but nothing worth slowing me down or dampening my mood. LOL






This is part of the redwood forest. It was later afternoon when I got to the area and the sun was falling. It was almost dark with all the shade from the trees but the high canopy really gave the forest an feel all to its own. At one point I was speeding along the road, with the canopy high above and a leave or pit of tree feel in front of me. I actually saw it high above as it lofted down and it hit me in the shoulder as I passed under the trees. It felt like the forest was reaching out to me as if to say "Welcome to our world, why don't you slow down and stay a while?". So I did. The rest of the ride was at a snails pace and I stopped so often to enjoy the forest that I did not find a camp spot till after dark.

Most of the groves of big redwoods are dedicated to someone. They all of have names which kinda bothers me. Many of these trees have been alive for over 2000 years. They are the oldest and largest living things this planet has ever seen! How dare we detract from that to name them after some human who did something a few years ago? I hope these trees are still here long after we are gone from this planet

Where is Scubatony now?

No comments:

Post a Comment